Monday, November 15, 2010

What hard drive do I need for my Sony Vaio?

What hard drive do I need for my Sony Vaio?
My Sony Vaio laptop was knocked off the table and now the hard drive is destroyed. I need a new one but I don't know what kinds are compatible, etc. The model is PCD-71314L. Also, how hard is it to install it myself if I've never done it before? Do I need to get someone else to do it for me?
Laptops & Notebooks - 2 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
I found a good deal on Newegg.com for a compatible hard drive for your laptop. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136197 I always choose Western Digital as it has the best statistical reliability. Installing the hard drive is relatively straight forward, there should be a panel on the bottom or bottom/side of the laptop with one or more screws holding it in place. After you find and remove it, its simply a matter of sliding the old drive out, removing the hardware (usually a bracket and maybe a conenctor) from the old drive, switching it over to the new one, and installing the new drive. Be warned you will have to re-install the operating system as the new hard drive will be completely blank.
2 :
Google the model number, it will tell you. Modern hard drives are all the same, just a capacity difference. Yes, you can change it yourself, easily. But, do you have a copy of the OS?

Read more discussions: