Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Sony Vaio which has a wireless chip

I bought a Sony Vaio which has a wireless chip but I am having problems connecting to my Netgear router, Help?
The Vaio has Vista. I have a Dell laptop that I have a wireless Netgear card for. I shouldn't have to switch that to the Sony right? It should connect automatically. I am IT illiterate, Please Help! I don't know if i havee WEP? How do I check that out? lol
Computer Networking - 3 Answers
Random Answers, Critics, Comments, Opinions :
1 :
Do you have WEP - basically a password set up on your router when you set it up? If you do, you need to add the settings to your Sony. If it is open and anyone should access, then check you wireless connection on and add a profile in the SONY to look for the router.
2 :
the wireless connector should come with a program, and if it doesnt simply go to start>control panel>click on connnections>then internet connections> then search for ur chip there> and then right click and search for signals. now netgear routers are very cheap and overheat. make sure its cool and that u have it setup. it reallly isnt necesary for the setup but make sure the cables are connected and that its cool. and that;s about it. trust me I have netgear and viao laptop too lol :-) what a coincidence.
3 :
One of the icons in the bottom right corner should be a red x with 2 little computers. click that and click connect to network. Find your network on the following list (make sure your wlan switch is on) if it prompts you for a wep code you must find it on the software that [probably] came with your router. Or it is in the instruction manual. Although, it may not prompt you at all and connect you right away. If this is so, your network is not secure and you may want to look into that. [nice choice on the laptop btw. but i went linksys with my router : ) ]

Read more discussions: